08 December 2011

What's in a Ring?

I recently read a post from Eat Pray Love Live that inspired me to talk about my wedding rings and my thoughts on the matter.

When my husband and I got married we had $500 to buy rings for me. I didn't know much and ended up getting a cheapo set from JC Penney. Looking back I wished I would have shopped around a bit more but it is what it is. I didn't get a big fancy engagement or my dream ring. Growing up I always said I would not settle. I would get my fairytale. Well, life happened and these things didn't happen. I was 9 weeks pregnant and my Fiance was leaving for the Air Force ten days after our wedding date. Our wedding was in a courthouse.

My rings came in the mail two days before we got married. When I got them I was a little letdown. My wedding band was nothing but an illusion band. No diamonds. It doesn't even look like it has diamonds. My engagement ring was pretty with a princess cut diamond sitting on an illusion band. My rings weren't anything flashy but they were pretty because they were mine. They symbolized so much love and for that I was happy.

Then there was a time I was 6 months pregnant with Little Miss. My rings had always been too big but everyone told me not to get them sized because my fingers would swell with pregnancy. Well, my fingers didn't swell and one night after shopping and dinner I realized my engagement ring was gone. I never even felt it fall off. I remembered having it at the restaurant but when I got home it wasn't there. I went back to the restaurant and tore the house apart looking but it was gone.

So my mom gifted me a diamond ring she found on the beach we got married at ten years before and it is the engagement ring I wear to this day.

I love my rings for what they symbolize but I do believe every woman should have their dream ring one day. I truly feel that spending money on ring is a sign of commitment. That is why we have engagement rings after all. My husband thinks it's stupid to spend money on a ring. He'd rather spend it on a four wheeler. I'm not materialistic but a ring is something I really desire. There is one in particular I fell in love 3 years ago right after we got married. It's beautiful and about a thousand dollars...which is way out of our budget. I will probably never get a new engagement ring but I hope one day my husband is sweet enough to get one for me. I am still so sad I lost my original one but I am grateful to have rings on my finger at all. I don't need my husband to spend a bunch of money to show me his love but man it really would be a selfless act of him to do. And without further ado...my dream ring...


I am drooling just looking at this picture. It is fabulous. So here's to rings and shiny things...Happy Thursday!

Have you entered my giveaway yet?? Click Here! Ends tomorrow night!

2 comments:

  1. I actually love the first two rings! It's awesome that you have a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely understand where you are coming from. There is nothing wrong with wanting your dream ring hun :)

    ReplyDelete