30 September 2011

Parenthood

No, not the show but real parenthood. Real life. Let me tell you a little story about parenthood...more specifically parenthood with only one parent because your spouse is gone on another mission for the military...

So today started out a normal day. Okay, it didn't actually...I lied. Last night I slept a total of 3 hours but not all at once. My kids took turns screaming into the baby monitors to keep me from sleeping. I was in and out of both of their rooms for hours feeding Little Man and putting Little Miss back in bed after calming her from a night terror. I'm pretty sure they strategically planned the night out so that they would maximize the amount of time mamma would be awake...because everyone knows how much I love being awake in the wee hours of the night...

So then at 6am they both decided to be awake for the day. I tiredly prepared breakfast and fed Little Man. After a few hours of cuddle time Daddy called us on skype. As I am trying to talk to him Little Miss starts throwing a fit. She got so mad that she grabbed the ceramic dipping bowl from the counter and threw it. So, of course I hung up with husband and immediately sent her to her room so I could clean up the mess that was now on my kitchen floor.

After nap time, I decided I needed to get out of the house so I decided a thrifting we will go...which for my 2 year old apparently meant a screaming we will go.

Thankfully at bedtime we all snuggled together and had a very long story time. After a long day these are the moments I cherish. It is tough being alone and taking care of my kids but even after a long day I wouldn't change being the one who gets to stay home with them. Even when Little Miss had broken a dish on the floor I still wanted to kiss and hug her because nothing she could ever do would change how much I love her. And even when Little Man doesn't want to sleep in the middle of the night and just wants to smile and coo at me...I wouldn't change it for anything. I love my kids. I just hope they grow up knowing how much I love them because I will continue to do my best to show it to them.

2 comments:

  1. having your hubbie gone with kids is tough. we just had our first & my hubbie was home a week before the birth & left a week after & being alone is soooo hard, even more so then when it was just me. but i agree whole heartedly with you. i wouldn't change anything when it comes to my kid. its those simple little moments that make everything - every stressful moment, every tear - worth it all.

    ReplyDelete