11 September 2010

Day 02{Something You Love About Yourself}

To show empathy is to identify with another's feelings. It is to emotionally put yourself in the place of another.
I guess after giving this quite a bit of thought I would say one thing I love about myself is my ability to empathize for others. My past has taught me that every person has struggles and the way a person is is based on what they've been through. I believe that the only way to accept someone is to try and understand their life by putting yourself in their shoes. I do not pass judgments on people. People are way too complex for labels. Every little thing we go through in life makes us who we are. Rather than passing judgment on someone especially when they have done you wrong... why not try and understand what in their life has made them feel the need to act a certain way? Every person is different and I love that. I love relating to people and am proud of that piece of who I am. Even in the midst of pain I try very hard to see through other people's eyes. Empathy is something I believe is so important. Sympathy for someone only goes so far but when you are able to step outside yourself and truly try to understand a situation and to feel for somebody...it just shows so much more. Not a lot of people truly understand how important this is. The world would be such a better place if we all took the time to walk in someone's shoes. So this, my friends, is something I LOVE about myself and I think God for giving me this gift.

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing gift it is as well! I wish more people had the ability, myself included, to think before we disregard people!

    PS: I included linky tools on my posts in the event you want to go back and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think empathy is a great virtue!

    I also think that empathy has a lot to do with being sensitive...

    So maybe the thing you dislike helps you have the virtue you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I love you. You are one of my absolute best friends. Hope we can catch up soon on the cell. When will work for you??

    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete